Venting, although a proven way to elevate all the stress and tension you are experiencing, 800 can also become self-limiting when you repeatedly confine it to self-asserting messages. It can result in you claiming victimhood for yourself. If not done in the right manner, it can become a self -implied excuse, for not taking any action to rectify the situation you are in.
ADVANTAGES OF VENTING (VIRTUES)
- Whether it is your bottled-up frustration, anger, or even sorrows, it is always better to let them come out of you. Keeping them inside for a prolonged time, can harm your well-being; mentally, physically, and most importantly emotionally. The validation that you receive from the person you are venting out to becomes the major source of relief.
- Our high other neocortical functions stop working when we let our emotions get the best of us. The presence of a trusted confidant Can help you gain back your emotional control over your shaky emotions. Hence venting out helps you to regain your emotional equilibrium.
- Whenever you are in a troubled situation, amidst a misfortune, the feeling of being alone is the most disturbing one. At such times, having a trusted confidant to share your hardship is guaranteed to make you feel better or a lot less bad. Self-expression in itself is bliss. Having someone to sympathize with you can make you feel a lot more legitimate and rightful.
- Misery loves company. Venting can help you take perspective from a person who is not so emotionally engaged in the given situation and can have an unbiased opinion on what should be done.
- Venting to someone helps you to change your negative judgments or assumptions about someone or something that triggered those emotions in you. Your anxiety/anger/stress/frustration/shame/sadness/ guilt or even rage can lead you to make poor or biased judgments.
- You cannot always confront your provocateur, it can sometimes have serious consequences. In such conditions, it is always better to have someone trusted or even completely unrelated to your situation provide help to you.
DISADVANTAGES OF VENTING (VICES)
- Destroys relationships. The person you are wanting to on a regular basis needs to have consideration towards his or her needs too. They too can run out of patience and can feel the toxicity due to the continuous dumping of emotions on them.
- It has been observed that venting directly to your provocateur, can actually increase your distress. you are even more likely to feel what about the feelings after receiving an inconsiderate response from your provocateur. [ Most people generally tend to use defense mechanisms when faced with criticism]
- In many scenarios, ventilation seems to be a way or a solution to a problem, which is not correct. Mere venting is a poor substitute for actually confronting a situation or problem. vending has been observed to be counterproductive because it tends to alleviate your distress.
- Venting can also be disguised as a denial of any personal responsibility for the situation. It can be both blaming as well as self-righteous, presupposing moral superiority. If not done to a reliable source it can block your potential of taking other people’s perspective.
- Venting if done to a person with too much emotional baggage can backfire. especially angry venting can suffocate or annoy your confidante.
- Regularly venting your negative emotions makes you skilled at it. Which tends to trigger your frustration levels even in pity situations. Venting can become a “knee-jerk reaction” with being practiced for the smallest situations. If venting is used very frequently to validate or justify oneself, no matter how self-reinforcing this procedure is, you will find yourself living a highly stressed life if not downright misery.